It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:01 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
Here's something I threw together recently to help people understand these retainers. Hopefully it will be of some assistance. I'm not exactly sure where to post this so I thought it could start out here. With the help of the Mods, I'm sure it will find its way home :wink:

GM Trim Retainers.

This style of retainer is used for a couple of different 2000-05 Bonneville applications. Most frequently, people will find two of these above the instrument cluster to help secure the surrounding trim in place. The other common location is the trim panel in front of the base of the windshield that encloses the windshield wiper motor and related components (7 are used here).

I recommend treating these gently because they are quite expensive for what you get. There are several different diameters and lengths but the part number for the two Bonneville applications listed above is #11517824. This two piece retainer assembly has a movable core and an outer plastic housing with three expandable tabs. It is this outer portion that actually serves to secure the applicable trim panel in place.

The movable retainer core has three possible positions. These are:

1. INSTALLATION POSITION. You can see that the centre core is protruding out of the retainer assembly. You’ll also notice the three tabs on the back have contracted and allow for the retainer to be inserted into the trim panel securing hole.

2. LOCKED / SECURED POSITION. Once the retainer is positioned into the trim panel, the centre core must be pressed in until one click is heard and felt. In this position the core will be virtually flush with the outer portion of the retainer assembly. You'll notice the three tabs on the back of the retainer assembly have expanded preventing it's removal from the trim panel and securing hole.

3. RELEASE / REMOVAL POSITION. When the retainer needs to be removed, the centre core is pushed further into the retainer assembly until a click is heard and felt. If the retainer has never been released it may take some firm pressure to achieve this. You’ll notice that the core is now recessed below the surface of the retainer and the three tabs on the back are again contracted allowing for the entire retainer to be removed from the trim panel.

Once you remove the retainer, you must manually move the centre core and reset it to the ‘Installation Position’ for re-insertion.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:04 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
How much do they cost at a dealer? One of mine is gone, and the other has a missing prong. I think I have a spare from andrew somewhere, but the one is still broken.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:08 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
Good info. I'm moving it to the 2000 section, since that's where it applies.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:10 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

I seem to recall when I was in Mankato they were about 6 or 7 dollars each. I'd have to look up the invoice.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:13 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Ok, that I can handle. It's not cheap, but if you need it you need it...

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:14 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

harofreak00 wrote:
Good info. I'm moving it to the 2000 section, since that's where it applies.

Yeah, I probably should have figured that one out. Doh!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:17 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
Quote:
GM PART # 11517824
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $4.68
OUR PRICE: $2.88
DESCRIPTION: RETAINER

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:17 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Next time I need a part from GMPD I'll keep that in mind.

Sirius wrote: